Video-game-maker Capcom has warned a ransomware attack might have compromised gamers’ personal information.
According to Capcom, 350,000 users could be affected due to unauthorized access.
1. Information verified to have been compromised
i. Personal information: 9 items
- Personal information of former employees: 5 items
(Name & signature: 2 items; name & address: 1 item; passport information: 2 items)
- Personal information of employees: 4 items
(Name and HR information: 3 items; name & signature: 1 item)
ii. Other information
- Sales reports
- Financial information
2. Potentially compromised data
i. Personal information (customers, business partners, etc.): maximum of approx. 350,000 items
- Japan: Customer service video game support help desk information (approx.134,000 items)
Names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses
- North America: Capcom Store member information (approx. 14,000 items)
Names, birthdates, email addresses
- North America: Esports operations website members (approx. 4,000 items)
Names, email addresses, gender information
- List of shareholders (approx. 40,000 items)
Names, addresses, shareholder numbers, amount of shareholdings
- Former employees’ (including family) information (approx. 28,000 people);
applicants’ information (approx. 125,000 people)
Names, birth dates, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, photos, etc.
ii. Personal information (employees and related parties)
- Human resources information (approx. 14,000 people)
iii. Confidential corporate information
- Sales data, business partner information, sales documents, development documents, etc.
The Japanese developer is best known for franchises such as Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter.
A week-and-a-half earlier, it had said there was no indication customer information had been accessed. But in an update on Monday, Capcom confirmed its servers had been hit by an attack on 2 November.
Ransomware is malicious software that typically threatens to block a victim’s access to their own records unless a blackmail payment is made.